-> #1 in Sleep Product Research
-> Unbiased and Independent
-> Millions Served Since 2008

Mattress Ratings > Mattress Sex Comparison

unbiased Mattress Types and Sex Suitability: Ratings and Comparisons

Based on 464 Mattress Owner Experiences

March 7, 2014
Bookmark and Share


The different mattress types tend to have their own advantages and disadvantages when it comes to sex.

Based on data gathered from over 460 actual mattress owners, the different mattress types are compared and contrasted in regard to their suitability for sex. See glossary and graphs below for more details.

Keep in mind that the information below represents what is often, but not always, the case; a particular brand, model or individual mattress may go against these findings.

  Air Memory foam Water Latex Innerspring
Active sex friendly c+ d+ c b- b-
Bouncy c f d- d+ b+
Allows discretion d+ A- b- B+ c
Durable c b- b- b D+
many positions c+ c c- b- b-
Comfortable b- b+ c+ b c
Allows faster climax c b c+ C+ c
Whole bed suitable c- C+ B- b c+

Glossary

Active sex friendly

"Active sex friendly" means the mattress is easy to move around on and sex positions can be changed with little effort. Active sex tends to be prevented by mattresses that are highly pressure sensitive or that don't always have or maintain a flat, level surface.

Bouncy

"Bouncy" means the mattress can have a bouncing effect when compressed, as opposed to being solid and motion absorbing. Bouncing can help some people get into a rhythm for certain sexual positions and thus increase enjoyment.

Allows discretion

"Allows discretion" means sex can take place on the mattress with no one in the next room being aware because the mattress is energy absorbing, heavy and silent.

Durable

"Durable" means the bed can withstand repeated and "passionate" use over several years without breaking, sagging or losing comfort and support.

many positions

"Many positions" means the properties of the mattress allow for position variety. Those mattress types that are both pressure-point relieving and easy to move on tend to allow for the greatest position variety.

Comfortable

"Comfortable" means that knees, elbows, hands, buttocks, etc. have minimal pressure put on them due to the properties of the mattress. Those mattress types that score best on this issue often allow a position to be held for an extended amount of time without discomfort.

Allows for faster climax

"Allows for faster climax" means the mattress provides "traction," namely a sinking-in effect, which allows for more efficiency of movement. This traction can result in faster and easier climax.

Whole bed suitable

"Whole bed suitable" means the entire top surface of the mattress is sex friendly. In other words, the entire surface is and remains flat, level, supportive, comfortable and easy to move on. A partition in the middle of the mattress, mattress sagging, or lack of edge support can limit the area that is suitable for sex.

Top of page


Memory Foam Mattresses

About 60% of memory foam mattress owners who commented on the subject believe their mattress to be average or better for sex. The remaining 40% believe it to be poor or below average for sex. It is important to note that low- and medium-density memory foam mattresses tend to be viewed as more suitable for sex than high-density memory foam mattresses, such as certain Tempur-Pedic models. (What is memory foam density?)

Some memory foam bed owners love their bed for sex but hate it for sleep, and vice versa. In addition, it seems that people who are willing to adjust their sexual practices to suit the bed, as opposed to fighting it, are more happy with its suitability for sex.

memory foam mattress

Advantages of sex on a memory foam mattress

1. Discreet sex. Because the mattress is heavy, absorbs motion and does not bounce, the bed moves little during sex. This allows sex to take place with no one in the next room being aware of it. This could be especially beneficial for parents who seek to keep their intimate moments secret from their kids.

2. Comfort. The mattress often gives enough so that knees, butt, elbows, hands, etc. don't get uncomfortable. This allows a person to stay in certain positions longer without fatigue or discomfort.

3. Faster climax. The bed's traction or sinking-in effect may allow for more efficiency of movement, resulting in faster and easier climax.

4. New, different positions. The bed's traction or sinking-in effect may allow people to have sex in positions that they could not perform (or not perform as well or easily) on other types of beds. This is especially true of high-density memory foam mattresses, such as certain Tempurpedic models.

Disadvantages of sex on a memory foam mattress

1. Impedes "active" sex. Some owners say that the way a person sinks into the foam provides too much "traction" which can discourage partners from moving around and changing positions often. And given memory foam's temperature sensitivity, this can be especially true in higher room temperatures. Lower-density memory foam mattresses, however, tend to be easier to move on than higher-density memory foam mattresses.

2. Requires more energy. Similar to the above point, owners say that because of the traction or sinking-in effect of the bed, you can tire more quickly. Some even complain of cramping and pulled muscles. Again, most complaints on this issue are for higher-density memory foam mattresses.

3. No bounce. Since a memory foam bed is motion absorbing, it has little or no bouncing effect. Some owners say this makes it difficult to get into a rhythm and can cause sex to seem awkward.

4. Lack of edge support. Some memory foam mattresses, including Tempur-Pedic, may lack adequate support along the edges of the bed. Making love near an edge, therefore, may result in one or both persons rolling off the bed. Those mattresses that feature "edge support" typically do not have this problem.

Top of page


Latex Mattresses

Over 78% of latex mattress owners who commented on the subject believe their mattress to be average or better for sex. The remaining 22% believe it to be poor or below average for sex.

latex mattress

Advantages of sex on a latex mattress

1. Comfort. Latex mattresses often give enough so that knees, butt, elbows, hands, etc. don't get sore. This allows a person to stay in certain positions longer without fatigue or discomfort.

2. Ease of movement. Unlike memory foam, latex tends to be easier to move on and is somewhat more "active" sex friendly as a result.

Disadvantage of sex on a latex mattress

1. Body impressions. Some latex mattresses can develop body impressions where people sleep resulting in an uneven mattress surface with peaks and valleys. The lack of a flat, level surface can potentially make sex difficult and uncomfortable to perform.

2. Little or no bounce. Latex absorbs motion to a significant extent and, consequently, tends to have little bouncing effect. Some owners say this makes it difficult to get into a rhythm and can make sex seem awkward.

Top of page


Innerspring Mattresses

About 74% of innerspring mattress owners who commented on the subject believe their mattress to be average or better for sex. The remaining 26% believe it to be poor or below average for sex.

innerspring mattress

Advantages of sex on an Innerspring mattress

1. Bouncy. Several innerspring mattress models, especially those without motion-isolating pocket coils, have a bouncing effect. This can help partners get into a rhythm which can increase enjoyment.

2. Ease of movement. Innerspring beds are often easy to move on unless they have a thick pillow top / foam comfort layer or have significantly sagged.

Disadvantages of sex on an Innerspring mattress

1. May lack discretion. Innerspring beds, especially cheaper models, may not be as solid or energy absorbing as other bed types, and their springs may make noise when in use. Consequently, it is possible that love making may be heard by others in a nearby room.

2. Durability. Durability is generally not a strength of innerspring mattresses, especially for pillow top / thick-comfort-layer models. Regular use can result in sagging, sink holes and body impression development which can impede sex.

3. Lack of comfort. Some innerspring mattresses, especially firmer models or those with comfort layers that have compressed with use, can lack the pressure-relieving ability of other mattress types. This may possibly result in an inability to comfortably hold a certain sexual position for an extended amount of time.

Top of page


Air Beds

About 60% of airbed owners who commented on the subject believe their mattress to be average or better for sex. The remaining 40% believe it to be poor or below average for sex. Airbeds, especially the Sleep Number Bed, tend to be polarizing in regard to sex; in other words, more than any other mattress type, people tend to either love it or hate it for sex.

airbed mattress

Advantages of sex on an airbed

1. Position Variety. Airbeds, with their firmness adjustability, may allow for greater position variety because firmness can be adjusted to best suit a variety of positions.

2. Comfort. Airbeds are pressure relieving and this often results in comfort for knees, butt, elbows, hands, etc. This may allow a person to hold certain positions longer without fatigue or discomfort.

Disadvantages of sex on an airbed

1. Whole bed may not be suitable. Airbed owners, especially Sleep Number Bed owners, say the beds have a partition, trench or intrusion in the middle where the two air chambers meet. This, they say, makes it difficult and uncomfortable to be in the middle of the bed and causes them to have sex on one side or the other which may not leave enough room. However, the partition / trench / intrusion in the middle can be minimized by having each side of the bed set with the same firmness level. Other owners, while not directly mentioning sex, say that the middle does not allow them to spoon or cuddle with their partner comfortably.

2. Not always discreet. Airbeds are often lightweight, relatively speaking, and can lack the solidity and motion absorption of other mattress types. Consequently, it is possible for love making to be heard by others in a nearby room.

Top of page


Waterbeds

About 70% of waterbed owners who commented on the subject believe their mattress to be average or better for sex. The remaining 30% believe it to be poor or below average for sex.

waterbed mattress

Advantages of sex on a waterbed

1. Comfort. Waterbeds are pressure sensitive so that knees, butt, elbows, hands, etc. don't get sore. This allows a person to stay in certain positions longer without fatigue or discomfort.

2. Allows for discreet sex. Waterbeds are heavy and do not move during sex and tend to not make noise. This may allow sex to take place with no one in the next room being aware of it.

Disadvantages of sex on a waterbed

1. Requires more energy. Poorly baffled waterbeds may be somewhat difficult to move on and can impede active sex.

2. No bounce. Waterbeds have no bouncing effect (but may have wave action). Some owners say this makes it hard to get into a rhythm.

Top of page

SLEEP PRODUCT RESEARCH: Mattress ReviewsMattress Topper ReviewsPillow ReviewsBed Sheet ReviewsWhite Noise Machine ReviewsSleeping Pill ReviewsSleep Hygiene Products

ABOUT SLEEP LIKE THE DEAD: Our StoryContactSitemapPrivacy Policy

IN THE NEWS: Sleep Like The Dead's research findings have appeared in such news publications as Barron's • Toronto Star • St. Louis Post-Dispatch • Edmonton Journal • Woman's World • The Consumerist • The Gazette • Ottawa Citizen

© 2007-2014 SLTD, Inc. • Copyright Violation Notice