#1 in Sleep Product Research
Unbiased and Independent
Millions Served Since 2008
Based on 261 Actual Consumer Experiences
THE GOOD: Stearns & Foster mattresses have above-average motion isolation and an upscale appearance. A variety of models are available to suit many personal preferences.
THE BAD: They have below-average owner satisfaction due mainly to below-average longevity / durability.
Both price and weight can be considerable for several models.
THE COMPETITION: Primary competition includes mid- to high-priced Simmons and Serta innerspring mattresses, latex mattresses, as well as Tempur-Pedic beds. See how Stearns & Foster compares in the mattress price comparison and mattress brand comparison.
The table below rates and compares the two main types of Stearns & Foster beds:
|Owner satisfaction||d-||D-||Stearns & Foster mattresses overall as a group have 58% owner satisfaction. ( ) Innerspring and latex models tend to rate similar and below average.
|Durability / longevity||d||D||Sagging or development of body impressions is the main cause of owner dissatisfaction for both innerspring and latex models. At least 25% of Stearns & Foster owners report the problem. Nearly all Stearns & Foster models have at least a 2-inch thick comfort layer (i.e., pillow top), and this likely is a significant factor in their having below-average durability. See the truth about pillow top mattresses.|
|Price / affordability||d+||D||Stearns & Foster mattresses are often priced between $1,200-$3,500 (innerspring) and $1,800-$4,100 (latex) depending on size and model. Owner reviews suggest that buying a higher-priced Stearns & Foster does not tend to result in higher satisfaction.|
|Less pain||d||D+||Due to sagging and loss of support, at least 15% of owners report that their mattress causes pain, such as back pain. Models with memory foam or latex tend to perform somewhat better in regard to pain relief than models without.|
|Firmness variety||b+||c+||Innerspring models come in a somewhat greater variety of firmness than do latex models.|
|Motion isolation||b||B||Stearns and Foster mattresses overall tend to perform better than average in absorbing movement from one person so that another person on the bed is not disturbed.|
|No initial odor / off gassing||c+||d||Innerspring Stearns & Foster beds perform about average, while latex models likely perform below average.|
|No sleeping hot||c+||c||Stearns & Foster models with memory foam or latex in the comfort layer appear to be more likely to retain heat.|
|Good for sex||c||C||Sagging of the bed may cause romantic activities to be uncomfortable and difficult to perform.|
|No noise||b-||a||Less than 3% of consumers report significant noise coming from their mattress.|
|No rotating / flipping||c+||c+||The beds have a no-flip design. Owners sometimes report rotating their mattresses in an attempt to minimize sagging and wear.|
|Lightweight||d+||D||Stearns & Fosters tend to be thicker and, therefore, heavier than many mattresses.|
|Warranty||b-||b-||The beds come with a 25-year warranty with the first 10-15 years non-prorated. At least 15% of owners, however, do not believe that warranty terms provide appropriate coverage for sagging.|
|Customer service||c||At least 7% of owners are not pleased with Stearns & Foster (Sealy) customer service mainly because of a lack of resolution regarding sagging and warranty claims.|
|Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating||A+||Stearns & Foster is made by Sealy. Sealy currently has an "A+" rating. Its rating, however, is less than stable and tends to fluctuate somewhat. Sealy had 177 complaints filed against it in the past three years which is about average for a mattress manufacturer of its size.|
|Better Business Bureau rating stability||c+||Historically, Sealy's BBB rating has fluctuated somewhat. BBB rating stability can be an indicator of a company's consistency and long-term commitment to the customer.|
Our Stearns & Foster innerspring mattress ratings are based on over 240 owner experiences; our Stearns & Foster latex mattress ratings are based on at least 15 owner experiences as well as the educated estimate of the Sleep Like The Dead editor.
Models included in our research include Traditional, Estate, Lux Estate, Luxury Latex, Silver Dream, Golden Elegance and others.
Over 80% of our Stearns and Foster owner experience data was collected from dozens of different online discussion groups. The remaining 20 percent was collected from product review web sites.
Learn more about our mattress research methodology and sources.
IN THE NEWS: Sleep Like The Dead's research findings have appeared in such news publications as Barron's • Toronto Star • St. Louis Post-Dispatch • Edmonton Journal • Woman's World • The Consumerist • The Gazette • Ottawa Citizen
© 2007-2013 SLTD, Inc. • Copyright Violation Notice